The lesson on October 23, 2022 was part 1 of the “Law and Grace” study. How is the Law to be applied today? What is the “Law”? In this first lesson of this study, it will have you consider these statements:
- We are NOT “under” the law, so we do not need to obey the LAW.
- We are to rightly divide the word of truth and therefore we conclude that the law was given to the Jews and we gentiles are not concerned with it.
- We are believers in the revelation of the mystery given to Paul the prisoner and this means a complete rejection of any teaching given to Israel. Therefore “the law” is out!
- The law was given to Moses NOT Paul the prisoner, so we do not preach law observance
- The law was full of types and patterns about Israel’s promises so we do not preach it or observe it.
These may be present in many Right Division groups but these statements are a “can of worms” for some people. We studied the passages in scripture where law and grace appear together: John 1:17; Romans 4:16; 5:20; 6:14-15; Galatians 2:21; 5:4. PAul tells Timothy in 1 Timothy 1:8 “But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully” Further, in 2 Timothy 2:5 “And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.” So in the epistles of The Mystery, PAul is saying the law is good and one should strive lawfully. We studied Ephesians 2:15 KJV “15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;”. We learned how to understand these commandments contained in ordinances.
The scripture reading was from Romans 11:1-6 KJV “1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, 3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. 4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. 5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.