The Great Gulf
(Matthew 25:41,46) Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. (I John 3:8) He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
Here we learn why God prepared a place of everlasting punishment – for the devil and his angels. It was not created for fallen man as we know that God desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth (1 Timothy 2:4). Man chooses to go their on his own free will by rejecting Christ.
There are several levels of the Underworld that have been described in scripture:
- The Low (2 Samuel 3:32) which is The Grave (geber, mnenion).
- The Lower – Hell – Abode of the souls of the wicked dead.
- The lower (Ephesians 4:9)
- Tartarus – Prison of the fallen Angels (1 Peter 3:18-20; 2 Peter 2:4-10; and Jude 6-7). Click here to learn more about Noah and the Flood to learn more about the fallen Angels.
- The Lowest – Abyss or Bottomless Pit – The Lake of Fire (Deut 32:22, Matt 5:30; Rev 9:1-2; 20:1-2,15) This is the home of demonic spirits and eventually the final resting place for Satan.
- The Great Gulf and Abrahams Bosom – (Luke 16:19-31) Abraham’s Bosom or Paradise – The abode of the souls of the “righteous dead” up until Christ’s resurrection. It is now empty because Christ took the “first fruits” with Him when he was raised (Luke 16:19-31; Acts 2:25-27; 2 Cor 12:2-4; Matt 27:52,53; 1 Cor 15:20; Eph 4:8-10).